r5399 - trunk/BOOK/x/wm

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 08:18:42 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> andy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 12/10/05 09:32 CST:
>
>> +      <para>The themes installed in /usr/share/fluxbox/styles have not been fixed to
>> +      call <command>fbsetroot</command>, they still call it by it's old name, bsetroot.
>> +      If you want to change the desktop color with the theme then fix the styles (as
>
> The /usr/share/fluxbox/styles should be encapsulated in
> <filename class='directory'></filename> tags.

Thanks.

> Also, "it's" is improperly used, it should be "its".

You're right. You've got me bang to rights guv.

> Additionally, (I noticed this in other commits as well), scripts and
> other programs should be encapsulated in <command></command> tags.

I have tried to do that...but what about bsetroot? It isn't a command or a script on a current BLFS system. It's what <command>fbsetroot</command> used to be called.

> Also, (I fixed two of these in a previous commit), almost *always*
> when you begin a sentence with "If", you'll need a comma in the
> sentence to separate the two clauses. In this case probably before
> the "then".

Yeah? I try to use punctuation to put over the way I'd say the sentence. I read it through in my mind and try to imagine saying it, and then put a comma where I would pause.

> Lastly, it is customary to end the sentence with some punctuation,
> in the case used above BLFS normally uses a colon.

Righto.

>> +
>> +<screen><userinput>sed -i 's@ bsetroot@ fbsetroot@' \
>> +      $(grep -lr bsetroot /usr/share/fluxbox/data/styles)</userinput></screen>
>> +
>> +      <para>However, if you set the desktop color with the themes it creates a problem
>> +      for setting a background image.
>
> Again, the "if" at the beginning (even though after "However") means
> that you'll probably need a comma to separate clauses. In this case,
> after "themes".
>

>> Fluxbox loads the themes after the commands in
>> +      <filename>~/.fluxbox/startup</filename> have been run, which wipes out the pretty
>> +      picture it's just set as your desktop...DOH!
>
> Again, "it's" is improperly used.

I disagree, in this case `it's' is short for `it has', the apostrophe indicates the missing letters

>  And I'm not sure that "...DOH!" is
> something we should be putting in a technical book. In fact, I know
> it shouldn't be there.

Well we all make mistakes...

>  The solution is to comment out
>> +      the <command>fbsetroot</command> command in the themes like this (again, as
>
> Again, a colon is probably the preferred punctuation at the end of
> the sentence as it is specifically setting to do the following
> thing ("like this").

Thanks,
Andy