ALSA [was: Re: r2893 - in trunk/BOOK: ...]

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 3 22:04:05 PST 2004

[cc'd to blfs.dev from blfs.book]

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>I thought we were going to keep alsa at the same version included
>>in the kernel (in this case 2.6.8.1).
>
> If you are still unsure, please ask on the official ALSA lists instead of
> just guessing and assuming the worst.

I am not guessing....

I am going on what was said by the Editor of the book and then
followed by another editor's decision to implement that instruction
of matching the kernel's ALSA version by downgrading the BLFS
ALSA instructions to match.

It was a decision that was made and implemented. Typically, when
there's a need to vary from the decision, another discussion
usually takes place and a new/different decision is made. I've
not seen any other discussion about ALSA, so I had no idea the
decision had been changed to update ALSA versions.

I suppose it just caught me off-guard that after a decision was
made and implemented, changes were made without discussion.