r2893 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome multimedia/libdriv

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Nov 3 21:25:03 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> larry at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> Author: larry
>> Date: 2004-11-03 20:11:24 -0700 (Wed, 03 Nov 2004)
>> New Revision: 2893
>>
>> Modified:
>>    trunk/BOOK/general.ent
>>    trunk/BOOK/introduction/welcome/changelog.xml
>>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/alsa-lib.xml
>>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/alsa-oss.xml
>>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/alsa-tools.xml
>>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/alsa-utils.xml
>>    trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv/audiofile.xml
>> Log:
>> update to alsa-1.0.6
>
> I thought we were going to keep alsa at the same version included
> in the kernel (in this case 2.6.8.1).

In the source of ALSA lib, I see they care a lot about these version
differences. E.g., they introduce protocol version numbers that may differ
only in micro versions.

E.g., for PCM, ALSA-lib 1.0.7-rc2 supports protocol version 2.0.7 (see
include/sound/asound.h) and in the src/pcm/pcm_hw.c file there are checks
for protocols as low as 2.0.1.

Just for fun, I checked the PCM protocol version in ALSA driver 1.0.2 (i.e.,
almost a year old). The result is 2.0.5, as can be seen in
alsa-kernel/include/asound.h => this very old kernel is still supported. So
there is absolutely no reason to downgrade ALSA lib (and introduce bugs)
just to match the kernel.

If you are still unsure, please ask on the official ALSA lists instead of
just guessing and assuming the worst.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov