cvs commit: BLFS/BOOK/postlfs/config compressdoc.xml inputrc.xml

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun May 30 09:41:16 PDT 2004

Igor Zivkovic wrote:

>Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>>mdash entity fixes
>>>
>>> -directories tend to contain links—hard and symbolic—which defeat simple
>>> +directories tend to contain links - hard and symbolic - which defeat simple
>>>

>>Igor,  what's up?  mdash should be the proper character.
>>

>xmllint complains about entity 'mdash' not being defined. What's wrong
>with the plain dash, anyways?

A what we are using is a hyphen that doubles for a minus sign. In
typography there are different types of dashes, typically a em-dash and
an en-dash.

 From http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/TEIp4/tei.cgi?div=div2&id=COPU

"Dashes are best distinguished in form by using the entity names
provided in the public entity set ISOpub, defined in ISO 8879: mdash,
ndash, and dash (the "true" hyphen). Alternatively, in a standalone XML
context, these entities may be represented as Unicode characters
*—*,*–*, or *‐ * respectively. Dashes are used for
a variety of purposes: insertion, interruption, new speaker (in
dialogue), list item. In the latter two cases it is preferable to mark
the underlying feature using the elements *<q> * or *<item> *, on which
see section Quotation
<http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/TEIp4/tei.cgi?div=div3&id=COHQQ>, and
section Lists
<http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/TEIp4/tei.cgi?div=div2&id=COLI>,
respectively."

What we should be seeing is shown at:
http://artis.imag.fr/Membres/Xavier.Decoret/ressources/xhtml/xhtml-special.ent.php

Proper usage is defined in: http://www.bartleby.com/61/85/E0108500.html

em dash: "A symbol ( — ) used in writing and printing to indicate a
break in thought or sentence structure, to introduce a phrase added for
emphasis, definition, or explanation, or to separate two clauses."

An en dash is used to connect things like numbers in a range: Copyright
2001–2004

How are you invoking xmllint? See:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2002-January/msg00113.html