Re-organization of the next release of BLFS Book!!

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 17:06:58 PST 2004

Hi the Editors & Organizers of BLFS,

I am not sure if I am sending this mail to the right place. If not, be kind
enough to direct it to the right quarters please.

I have become a fan of LFS/BLFS for the last four months or so. I have built
some systems based on
your brilliant efforts. The books are very well researched and edited with
all the conveniences at hand for anyone inquisitive and adventurous enough
to take a plunge into this fascinating world of  LFS-BLFS. It works so well
!! Apart from being tailored to the system one owns, the greatest benefit is
that this exercise gives one a sense of achievement and elation which is
very personal, as opposed to just installing a bundled junk - i.e. the
available distributions.

I would like to venture a suggestion which I feel would improve the current
organization of the BLFS Book. If the 'powers that be', at your end, approve
of this suggestion, then you may like to consider incorporating the same in
the next release of the BLFS. My suggestion, in short, is as follows:

"The BLFS book is already in logical Chapters or Parts. However, for going
after a line of action for installing desktop environs and the applications,
a user has to research into a maze of dependencies, dependencies of
dependencies and their further dependencies, in some cases. I know that a
'hint' and some tools exist to straighten out the dependencies. But my
suggestion is that the book can also be re-organized to give various choices
to the user (especially a newbie-like me) what she/he would like to go for
after installing upto X-window system. Most people would like to go for KDE
or Gnome. Few will like to have both. And, thereafter, (for example) those
who may have selected KDE (which I feel will be a majority) may, most
likely, want Abiword, Gnumeric, GnuCash, GIMP, XMMS and maybe Evolution
also, which are better than what one gets in KDE and KDE Office or Open
Office. Going for selective packages from both the Desktops is unavoidable
because of the relative convenience of the applications available in both.
This is to avoid overloading and, consequently, slowing down one's system by
having both Desktops installed. This, incidentally, is one of the major
advantages of LFS/BLFS, over the other distributions. The suggestion,
therefore, is to list out various groups of desktop-environs and
application-choices and then below them just list out the various
dependencies that these involve. These choice-groups may then be organized
into chapters/parts, without any repetitions offcourse. So that this kind of
re-organization meets the choice-groups of a majority of BLFS enthusiasts, a
survey may be conducted through the available forums of BLFS."

Thanks for patient reading of this mail.

RSP