cvs commit: BLFS/BOOK/introduction/welcome changelog.xml

Alexander E. Patrakov semzx at newmail.ru
Sat Jan 3 20:17:37 PST 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 04:25, igor at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> igor        04/01/03 16:25:37
>
>   Modified:    BOOK     index.xml
>                BOOK/content/databases/mysql mysql-config.xml mysql-desc.xml
>                         mysql.ent
>                BOOK/introduction/welcome changelog.xml
>   Log:
>   updated to mysql-4.0.17

So you decided that mysql is a special case and generally killproc is the
right thing. Does everyone agree? Or should we edit lfs-bootscripts instead?

For now, I see the following cases of killing the daemon:

1) Get the PID from a .pid file, wait until the process dies as reported by
kill -0, with configurable timeout
2) Get the PID from a .pid file, wait until the .pid file disappears, with
configurable timeout
3) Get the list of PIDs from pidof, kill them all, like killproc does
4) Use a special utility like apachectl or pg_ctl

While (4) is certainly a special case, do you think that (1) and (2) are worth
having special functions in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions? Then mysqld will be
the case (2), with a timeout of 35 seconds.

BTW RedHat has a huge timeout for squid. Consider that when adding squid to
the book.

Please also report all other cases when the default LFS timeout (3 seconds) is
insufficient.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov