fontconfig.h and XFree86...what is the solution?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Apr 26 20:43:36 PDT 2004

zoltan wrote:

> Excuse my directness, but I read a lot of useless philosophical drivel
> about what should/should not happen if/when
>
> #define HasFontconfig YES
>
> is put in the host.def file for building XFree86-4.3.0.1 with the
> fontconfig-2.2.1 and freetype-2.1.5 as described in the BLFS-5.0 book.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

> Now, whether or not
>
> WORLDOPTS="" make ...
>
> is worse than
>
> make WORLDOPTS="" ...
>
> because one stops at the first error which may/may not have scrolled
> out of your xterm buffer is something I'll care about in an
> after-life, but for now, all I want to know is what's the solution?

Use the second opttion.

> Flame me all you want, because right now, all I care about is getting
> the damned thing to build (XFree86-4.3.0.1).
>
> The cause of my frustration (what, me worry :-) ) is simply that
> BLFS-5.0 adds the
>
> #define HasFontconfig YES
>
> to the host.def file, which is the root of all evil, as in, things
> worked fine before.  And yes, I did install expat, freetype, and
> fontconfig PRIOR to building XFree86...and then this crap about 'does
> it stop scrolling at the first error...blah blah blah..." on the
> archive searches...
>
> Now you can see why linux hasn't appealed to the profiteers...for
> better or for worse.  Philosophy isn't profitable.  Businessmen need
> solutions, not useless philosophical drivel.  And, yes, thanks Tushar,
> for the patch to freetype-2.1.7, but BLFS-5.0 uses 2.1.5!  Can we say
> malformed patch error...?  Oh well, that was a long-shot anyway...
>
> So shall we just stick a fork in fontconfig-2.1.5, or did I burn too
> many bridges...?

Can you explain your error a little bit better.  You are obviously
frustrated.  OTOH, LFS and BLFS are about education.  If you want a
"Businessman" solution, use a commercial distro or Gentoo.  If you want
to learn, use LFS/BLFS, but be prepared to make mistakes and learn from
them.

The packages and instructions in LFS 5.0 and BLFS 5.0 go together.  They
do work, but when you start changing packages, all bets are off.  Right
now we are working with XFree86 4.4 and Xorg 6.7.0.  Check the CVS
version for instructions.