Ghostscript, a2ps, enscript, gsview, psutils, xpdf, Acrobat Reader

Seth W.Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Wed Jan 1 13:50:03 PST 2003

Mark Hymers <markh at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 01, Jan, 2003 at 02:18:57PM +0100, alex at 22-music.de spoke thus..
> > On 31.12.02 21:29 +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> > >
> > > I've applied most of the patch (except for the Acrobat reader bit - we
> > > allow binary-only only where there is no alternative; in this case xpdf
> > > and gv are alternatives).
> >
> > So is gsview. I was unable to compile gv, but I'll keep trying. Perhaps,
> > I'll even make a patch to compile it without xaw3d, but don't count on
> > it soon.
>
> I've compiled gv sucessfully using gcc-3.x.  I'll try and write the
> instructions for it.

gv is showing it's age. Gnome installations will probably prefer ggv
and i doubt KDE is without an equivalent.

For PDF, the only thing that modern Acrobat actually does, xpdf is
usually preferable to all ghostscript frontends like gv because it
supports PDF features like hyperlinks.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org