BLFS - OpenSSH-3.4p1

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 31 22:55:24 PDT 2002

This comment pertains to the information in the BFLS Book for installing
OpenSSH-3.4p1:

version 20020730
Chapter 23: Other Server Software
http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/server/openssh.html

In the first code block under "Installation of OpenSSH", the follow command
is given:

chmod 755 /var/empty &&

However, I noticed that during the install of the OpenSSH software (from the
"make install" command), the following command scrolled by:

chmod 0700 /var/empty

I did a "grep 'chmod 0700'" on the OpenSSH directory and found this in the
file "openssh-3.4p1/Makefile.in" on line 221:

chmod 0700 ${DESTDIR}${PRIVSEP_PATH}

This pretty much negates the command that was executed earlier. Is there any
reason for the conflicting command in the BLFS Book? Or should the "chmod
755" command be removed from the BLFS Book?

- Bryann

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org