Ghostscript, a2ps, enscript, gsview, psutils, xpdf, Acrobat Reader

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 31 13:28:06 PST 2002

--- alex at 22-music.de wrote:
> On 30.12.02 13:50 -0800, Matt Rogers wrote:
> >  alex at 22-music.com wrote:
> > Hello, BLFS developers!I just finished my work on
> the
> > postscript-related programs. See the
> patchattached.
> > Sorry that I didn't split it, but this shouldn't
> be
> > too hard.My next submission should be on CUPS,
> > foomatic, and gimp-print. I'll try to split these
> > patches.gv and lprNG should be written by someone
> > else. I could write the Scanningsection instead
> > (including OCR software). Btw., do digital camera
> > softwarego to the same section?And I found a BUG!
> > cdrdao-1.1.7 no longer depends on pccts-133mr33!
> > Youbetter fix that :-)If I don't submit that
> printing
> > stuff tomorrow, happy new year!
> >
> > Alex Kloss (LX)
> >

> > I feel inclined to point out that I have the
> > ghostscript bug in the BLFS bugzilla page and was
> > working on the ghostscript part of the book. Bruce
> > Dubbs has the CUPS bug. Maybe you should check
> with
> > the owners of the bug before writing the section
> for
> > it? Obviously, if there's not a bug for it, then
> it's
> > fair game.
> >
> > Alex, this doesn't mean that i don't appreciate
> the
> > work that you've done (cause it's good work), only
> > that you should be respectful of work that other
> > people have taken for themselves.
> >
> > --
> > Matt
> >
> The fact that I wasn't there when you parted the
> work under
> yourselves should keep me from transferring the
> knowledge that
> I've gained writing stuff like the CUPS printing
> hint to BLFS?

Absolutely not.

> If you want it like that, this should be my last
> contribution.
> Especially because in the last 2-3 months, nothing
> happened to
> the pst section related to Postscript or Printing,
> so excuse me
> if I didn't check bugzilla before writing what I
> already knew
> (Of course I had to check the actual versions).
> Actually, I've
> announced to work on that sections without anyone
> warning me that
> they were already "taken".

I missed that, and therefore apologize.

> Since you appreciate my work, I suggest you use the
> work that
> you've already done on the ghostscript section to
> refine what I
> wrote, since using the best of everything is best
> Open Source
> Philosophy.
>
> You'll recognize that I've circumented the "gs/cups"
> problem by
> not using GNU Ghostscript. I wasn't easy with this
> choice because
> ESP ghostscript can be a cleaner solution when you
> want to use
> CUPS. In that matter, it could be helpful to split
> the Ghostscript
> section: 1. declare why and what for there are
> different Ghost-
> script flavours and 2. explain how to install them.

ESP is licensed under the GPL and AFAIK is just the
latest version of GNU Ghostscript with additional
bugfixes/patches to enable it to better work with
CUPS.

> I'm a bit uneasy with the idea that I should take
> the leftovers
> instead of playing to my strenghts. But I'm happy to
> work with
> others that are interested in the same topic. So
> I'll check the
> bugzilla on the sections I intend to write to ask
> the persons who
> "claimed" those "bugs" (missing sections) if they
> want to work
> with me.

I would be uneasy with the idea as well, and that was
not what I meant when I made my post.

> I've already arranged very well with Larry in
> surpassing each
> other to improve the MPlayer section.
> Almost the same is true for the Alsa section, which
> Mark and I wrote
> together (I plan some upgrades on that section,
> too).
>
> If you're interested in working together with me on
> the Ghostscript
> section, I'll very happyly send you my mindshare :-)

I am more than happy to work with you on the
ghostscript section, cause the damn fonts are a pain
in the ass and that is something that i have yet to
figure out w/o using trial and error

> Since no bug is already assigned on the Scanning
> section, I'll make
> an entry in bugzilla for that... Bug #270.
>
> I'll ask bruce if he wants to work together with me
> on that CUPS
> section, otherwise I'll concentrate on the scanning
> section.
>
> Happy new year
>
> Alex
> --

I had a feeling my post would come across like this,
which is why i hesitated to post in the first place. I
apologize if I've offended anyone.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org