Bug 236

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Dec 31 12:33:53 PST 2002

On Wed, 11, Dec, 2002 at 10:17:46PM -0600, James Robertson spoke thus..
> OK, no problem there.  This is my first time with XML type authoring.  I
> have done HTML, but not XML.  I looked over the patch and there are some
> places that would use those tags in 1.2.  I can send a patch file again, or
> just point them out to you.

Patches are always better (if it hasn't already been done by now!)

> Well...I am a visual guy.  I don't like (what I consider) major hidden
> environment variables.  I like to see $USER, $LOGNAME, and $HOSTNAME when I
> type env at the prompt.  I also wanted to make sure that $USER and $LOGNAME
> were the same.  I see these as major and the two distros that I have used
> in the past (RH and Debian) also place those same lines in thier
> /etc/profile files.  On the $MAIL issue, I can put some verbiage in there
> that if you moved your mail location from the default in the lfs book, then
> you need to change the variable here.  This is another good reason to keep
> that variable.  By default it is in /var/mail/$USER, but it could be moved
> anywhere.  The FHS recommends /var/spool/mail/$USER, so some people could
> have moved it there.  I don't care either way, it is just the way I liked
> it.  If you want it different in your book, then by all means remove it.

Hmm.  I don't set them but they show up in env output anyways.  As for
MAIL, if we need to deal with it we should probably do so in the MTA/MUA
sections.

Mark

"I once absent-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
 and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
 a bottle of chili sauce."
     Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org