Bug 236

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Dec 11 14:42:04 PST 2002

On Wed, 11, Dec, 2002 at 09:44:34AM -0600, James Robertson spoke thus..
> James Robertson wrote:
> > BLFS Editors,
> >
> > I have finished a first stab at bug 236 for the page titled /etc/profile
> > and ~/.bash_*.  Let me know what I need to do further or if changes are
> > needed.
> >

> Oops - I meant to send the patch file.  Sorry.

Hi,

I've been reviewing the patch and in the main it's fine.

I've made one or two slight changes (grammatical and spelling mainly).
One point; when you want to use things like <email at email.com>, you need
to use < for < and > for > in XML or the parser gets confused (it
can't tell the difference between that and a tag such as <sect2>)

One or two other points.

This bit in /etc/profile:
# Setup some environment variables.
USER=$(id -un)
LOGNAME=$USER
MAIL="/var/mail/$USER
HOSTNAME=$(/bin/hostname)
HISTSIZE=1000
PS1="[\u@\h \w]\\$ "

I'm fine with HISTSIZE and PS1 but USER, LOGNAME and HOSTNAME should
(afaik) be set by default.  Secondly, it's probably dangerous for us to
recommend the MAIL variable because depending on how people set up their
mail, they might want it set differently.  Actually, having just tested
it, MAIL is set to /var/mail/$USER by default anyways (unless I've made
a mistake).  I've removed these for now but if you want them added back
in then just let me know - especially if my logic / testing is wrong.

# By default we want the umask to get set.
# Even for non-interactive and non-login shells.

Again, my testing shows that umask is set to 022 by default anyhow.  I
agree that the code to set it for some users to 002 is good but should
it just be for UID=0 (i.e. root)?

Anyways, other than for those two minor points, that's about it - it is
otherwise excellent and will be committed to CVS in the next few
minutes.

Thanks very much,

Mark

"Q: What's the definition of a double blind trial?
 A: Two orthopaedic surgeons looking at an ECG"
     Medical In-Joke
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org