A few points and questions

Paul Campbell paul at cmm.uklinux.net
Sat Sep 29 06:51:13 PDT 2001

> Depends - I have to use hdparm on one of my hard drives to disable DMA
> otherwise the damn machine crashes within about 10 minutes.  Also,
> hdparm isn't difficult to do - it's just that I haven't got around to
> doing it.

> Hmm - that's difficult.  Who decides what is essential?  For a server,
> sound isn't essential - for a desktop it is.  BLFS isn't supposed to be
> linear - people are meant to use it to guide themselves.

Accepted, but you get my point about compiling your toes when you have not
done your legs yet.

> I'm looking for a release towards the end of the year.  I know it seems
> a long way away but we ARE writing this book pretty much from scratch (pun
> intended) and it can't be done overnight.

End of the year sounds resonable, I hope to do a bit myself by then.

> Djbdns is included as an *alternative* to bind.  Bind will be included
> just as soon as someone gets around to writing the instructions for it.
> Are you volunteering? ;-)

/me hides
;-)

> Some people like "non-standard" apps.  Personally I use bind but that's
> my preference.  I happen to know that Jeff who wrote those instructions,
> prefers djbdns - this way, people can choose.

It's just the way it throws itself all over the place, where you least expect
it, needs a good hard hack at the makefile to make it see reason.  I would
rather run bind, but it is much heavier on the config, just like sendmail as
opposed to postfix.  It is the daemon tools not tinydns and dnscache stuff
that is annoying.  I have heard it can be run by sysV rather than svscan, but
I don't know how.

> Best thing to do is to:
> 1) subscribe to blfs-book and blfs-dev
> 2) get a bugzilla account at blfs-bugs.linuxfromscratch.org
> 3) Install CVS on your system and pull and read the xml to get a feel
> for it.

Will do.

> One of the things we DO need is people to TEST instructions.

Yea, I'm brewing a new 3.0 workstation over the coming weeks, I'll try and
use the BLFS instructions where possible, and give account of my perils. 8=)

Paul
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org