A few points and questions

Paul Campbell paul at cmm.uklinux.net
Sat Sep 29 03:31:19 PDT 2001

Hi,

I have been waiting patiently for progress, checking in to the CVS book here
and there, to see how things are going.

I have noticed a lot of the bugzilla stuff being worked on, that appears to
be superflious to the system, like hdparam and the like.  Things that will
not be on the mind of someone just finishing the LFS book.

Possible the goal of the book is set too high.  I think you could axe a load
of stuff for the momment and think carefully about what are the essential
things that peeps will want in their LFS system as soon as the base is
finished.  Rather than make the book about *everything* that you may want
after LFS, I feel the BLFS book can follow the style of the LFS one, if it
isn't essential, it don't get in.  Make the BLFS book about an extended base
system with X etc.  Rather than a bulky disrto from the hints.  The later
making the book much harder to support and maintain or even finish.

Choose what apps make an extended base system, and set a dealine for
completion of version 1.0, don't try and convert every single hint though,
they will still be there to use.

The other thing is, can you avoid the non-defacto-standard apps.  I hate the
hints that say ... ".. everybody uses crond, but we going to tell you how to
use fcron, or bcron or someother wacy item....)  With fcron I forgive them,
but NOT djbdns, that apps really winds me up, that daemon tools foo breaks
with too many traditions and ways of getting things done..  You have to
create an entirely new way of running daemons, and the compile/install
proceedure was written by someone who clearly has no regard for linux system
standards.  Some of the hints also hold too much personal preference rather
than standard setup advice.

I would like to start helping out, just my Open University term is reaching a
end and I have an science Exam in two weeks, so it will be after that.  Has
anyone done samba & nfs?  Or a colour bash prompt?

I hope you dont think I'm being harse, I just feel that there may be too much
being taken on for a version one effort.  The book needs an set deadline to
encourage the effort too.

If version one only contains X, KDE Gnome and one or two apps, it will still
be of good use and valuable to new comers.  Version two can include more and
so on.....

Paul

PS what is the format?  XML I persume, but docbook or what? (I've only just
started learnig xml, with help from O'Rielly's )

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org