LFS Mailing Lists Change

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 20 18:16:33 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:27:11PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

The time is drawing near to implement the changes. I wanted to do this
tonight, but per Murphy's law, I can't complete it tonight. I'm having a
little bit of a crisis with my email setup. Let me elaborate a bit so you
all feel sorry for me and forgive me for this delay ;)

Nimba has hit my ISP, their smtp server's harddisk is full, or when it's
not full it's unreachable, or when it is reachable, it's terribly slow.
It takes 15 minutes for one single message to be accepted by the server and
then takes a long long time to be sent to it's destination (what normally
takes a minute max. from my isp to linuxfromscratch.org is taking hours
now, some i wrote yesterday haven't arived yet, perhaps they got lost with
their harddisk problems).

I can email from linuxfromscratch.org just fine, but it slows me down,
gotto scp attachments over first, then gotto copy&paste a copy back to
myself for local mail archives. It's being a terrible pain. Not to mention
Nimba has my ISP's speed lowered which makes working through an ssh
connection to type an email terribly annoying.

On top of that, outgoing port 25 is blocked. Via normal routes I can only
use my ISP's smtp server. Anything else comes back with a "no route to
host". I'm currently rigging the smtp server at linuxfromscratch.org to
listen on an alternate port that I can get to (any port will do, it's just
25 that's blocked out) so I can start using linuxfromscratch.org as my
relayhost (smarthost in sendmail terms). But it can't be an open relay so I
have to reinstall the pop3 server, install RPC, DRAC so setup the
pop-before-smtp thing (login to pop3, then my ip address is authorized to use
the server as a relay for a certain amount of time).

Well you can imagine, this is going to take me some time doing. I also have
some real-life things to take care of tonight, so all in all there's no way
in heaven I can change the mailing lists. My email is a bit more important
than this. I will make the changes tomorrow afternoon my time. Not the
greatest time (it's a lot quieter at midnight my time, so easier to change
things and if it breaks, it won't be noticed), but again I don't have much
choice there either. Life never co-operates with me when it comes to
changing major things around.

Ok, so that's my excuse for delaying. Now on to the next issue: what
exactly is it that is going to be changed.

[Newcomers to this list: please check the online mailing list archives under
this thread for additional notes/points raised/settled already]

1) lfs-discuss will be renamed into lfs-dev

2) current support questions regarding installing LFS (Help! I can't
install Bash) will go to a new list: lfs-support

3) current lfs-apps will be renamed into blfs-support - see below

Where the LFS book ends, BLFS takes over (BLFS =
beyond.linuxfromscratch.org).

3) new list blfs-dev will be created - same functions as lfs-dev but for
blfs obviously

4) new list blfs-support - like lfs-support but deals with everything
off-topic to LFS book. It'll deal with problems installing things from the
blfs book, but also things not in the blfs-book. This is what currently is
known as the lfs-apps list

The lists that are going to be renamed (lfs-discuss and lfs-apps) will
still be able to be reached through the old address. Aliases will be put in
place.

These changes will be made tomorrow afternoon (my time) a little while
before LFS-3.0 will be released. Things may get a little 'bumpy' while
we're going through these changes, I apologize for that in advance and just
bear with us. I'm sure we'll be just fine, right guys?

Oh before I forget; there are two lists remaining to be dealt with: lfs-book and
blfs-book

They are currently functioning as "dumping grounds" for the bugtracking
systems. When an update is made to a bug, a copy of it will be emailed to
the list so that all the book editors (and lurkers) will know about it.

I feel it's a good idea that certain emails from the bugtracking system
go to the lfs-dev and blfs-dev lists, that way everybody can keep track of
what's happening with the LFS book, when a change has been made, etc. But
not all bugtracking traffic is suitable for lfs-dev, some only interests
the book editors.

How this is going to be done hasn't been decided on, it's in the bugtracking d
atabase, we'll be discussing this in the future, at which time we will remove
the (b)lfs-book lists, or rename them into something that has a more meaningful
name.

(Sorry for this way too long of an email)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org