Lots of Bugzilla Traffic / QA Stuff

jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Sun Sep 16 22:05:30 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 05:09:55PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> Secondly, the person who QAs the bug should report that they've done it
> to the list.  Whoever ends up in charge of QA (I'll do it for the moment
> but I'm kinda hoping Jeff will volunteer??) will then CLOSE the bug with
> a note of who did the QA put into bugzilla.

Thought I already did. :-) Yes, I'm now looking for volunteers to take
some of this on, particularly mine, as I plan on doing many myself, but
I'm in total agreement with Mark, that I don't think anyone should be
doing their own stuff.

> I hope this all sounds reasonable.  Can all volunteers please send
> messages to the list with which packages you are intending on doing.
> That way we can avoid duplication of effort.

I would like to suggest a slightly different procedure, however. I think
it would be best if people made a comment in Bugzilla on the bug you're
going to verify, so that we don't have to check back and forth between
mail and Bugzilla to find available bugs to check. This way we'll have all
information in one place. Also, I would suggest that we change the state
to VERIFIED rather than CLOSED, and only close bugs once we do something
like an official release. Also, making entries in Bugzilla will (as
we've seen today rather clearly ;-) ) send mail to the list, so it's
only necessary to change the state to verified with any comments you may
have. I would suggest at least mentioning on which version of LFS you have
installed the package.

I would also like to suggest what to check when verifying a bug. I think
there are several things that need to be looked at. First is to install
the package yourself and make sure it installs correctly as documented;
second, check the instructions for clarity, grammatical correctness and
formatting; third, make sure it's complete -- that everything that has
been installed has a description included in our procedure.

I hope this is reasonable. Different opinions are of course, welcome.

--
Jeff Bauman
jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net

"...the standard Windows remote administration tool -- your car."
	-- Hatch, Lee & Kurtz from "Hacking Linux Exposed"
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org