LFS Mailing Lists Change

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 6 16:29:23 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 07:18:07PM -0400, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> (b)lfs-discuss: I think the name lfs-dev (or lfs-develope) gives
> 	a more "getting serious work done, not a place for frivolous
> 	posts" type impression which is what (i think) we want because
> 	high traffic and noise might turn away serious types of people.
> 	I know, that does mean renaming lfs-discuss, but i actually
> 	think that is good because it emphasizes that support and KDE
> 	posts don't belong there anymore.

It is an idea worth keeping in mind. Renaming lfs-discuss isn't so hard,
since lfs-discuss@ can become an alias to lfs-dev, it's just that people
will have to make one small change to their mail filters and add
lfs-dev, if this is what we end up doing.

> (b)lfs-book: A couple things:
> 	One, this name doesn't make it immediatly clear what the list
> 	is for. If it's for bugzilla (and maybe cvs commit) notices,
> 	lfs-status seems a clearer name.
> 	Two, if we're not sure we'll use these lists wouldn't it
> 	be better to wait and add them if we experience the need?

We're already using those lists (lfs-book and blfs-book) for quit some
time now (since March 11th or so). The name is fine, they're not really
public lists (although anybody can subscribe to it, etc).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org