A few points and questions

jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Wed Oct 10 19:36:40 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 06:13:16AM -0400, Craig M . Reece wrote:
> I agree that nothing should go into /usr/local, and for mostly the same
> reasons actually :). However, I believe that things that use their own
> hierarchy or are major subsystems in their own right (KDE, GNOME, BerkelyDB,
> mySQL, Apache, etc.) should go into their own /opt directory so that their
> hierarchy stays intact and doesn't interfere with anything else on the
> system. System-wide libraries (more-or-less defined as stuff used by more
> than one package) should go into /usr (libxml, libxml2, pcre, libogg, etc.).

I'm in complete agreement.

> I totally think that Python should be installed... In fact, I think
> it should be installed on a base LFS system. Also, tcl/tk/expect should be
> included (and before Python since these need to be there for tkinter to
> function :)).

Would you be willing to sign on to get these done? There's been precious
little in the way of progress here in the past few weeks, and it would be
nice to have some folks stepping up to actually crank some of this out.
If it's left to just a few of us to get it all done, it's going to be a
long while before we see a 1.0 release. And if you're as interested as
you seem in seeing these packages included, this will insure that they are.

--
Jeff Bauman
jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net

"All firm belief is a sickness."