A few points and questions

Craig M.Reece craigthulu at littlethulu.craigthulu.com
Wed Oct 10 03:13:16 PDT 2001

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 11:28 pm,
jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net wrote thusly:

> OK, first off, I believe I've mentioned this before, I don't think
> anything should go into /usr/local. My reasoning is that since we're
> defining our own distribution, the things we make part of that should be
> in /usr, unless they're programs that don't easily install in a standard
> place, and those should go in /opt. MySQL might be a good candidate for
> /opt. Speaking of databases, I would also like to see PostgreSQL
> included, but not necessarily in 1.0.
>
> The FHS reserves /usr/local for use by the system administrator. Since
> this is kind of a gray area for us, since we're both the sysadmin as
> well as the creators of the distribution, we might spin this either
> way, but for the sake of simplicity (shorter paths, never having to go
> check whether a package was installed in /usr/local or /usr, etc.) I
> think we should standardize on /usr.

I agree that nothing should go into /usr/local, and for mostly the same
reasons actually :). However, I believe that things that use their own
hierarchy or are major subsystems in their own right (KDE, GNOME, BerkelyDB,
mySQL, Apache, etc.) should go into their own /opt directory so that their
hierarchy stays intact and doesn't interfere with anything else on the
system. System-wide libraries (more-or-less defined as stuff used by more
than one package) should go into /usr (libxml, libxml2, pcre, libogg, etc.).

> I think xinetd should be part of 1.0 since it's necessary for so many
> other things.
>
> Traceroute, since it's already done, and is a very handy item when
> debugging network problems, I believe should be in 1.0.

I agree.

> Mark, did you come to any opinions on cron versions? I could not get
> dcron installed here -- it wouldn't compile. Do you know of any tricks
> that have to be performed to get that to happen?
>
> Do you think Python and Alsa Sound Support are 1.0 items? From my
> perspective, I think they could wait. I also think tcl/tk should be on
> the list, but not for 1.0.
>
> Anyway, that's probably enough to get some discussion started.

I totally think that Python should be installed... In fact, I think
it should be installed on a base LFS system. Also, tcl/tk/expect should be
included (and before Python since these need to be there for tkinter to
function :)).
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org