A few points and questions

jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Tue Oct 9 20:28:42 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:57:52AM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
> I suggest we start to annotate this with 1.0 after the items we want in
> the first version.  I've put in what I consider to be essentials.  (If
> 1.0 is after a subsection, it means we need the entire of that
> subsection to be ready to release IMHO).

OK, first off, I believe I've mentioned this before, I don't think
anything should go into /usr/local. My reasoning is that since we're
defining our own distribution, the things we make part of that should be
in /usr, unless they're programs that don't easily install in a standard
place, and those should go in /opt. MySQL might be a good candidate for
/opt. Speaking of databases, I would also like to see PostgreSQL
included, but not necessarily in 1.0.

The FHS reserves /usr/local for use by the system administrator. Since
this is kind of a gray area for us, since we're both the sysadmin as
well as the creators of the distribution, we might spin this either
way, but for the sake of simplicity (shorter paths, never having to go
check whether a package was installed in /usr/local or /usr, etc.) I
think we should standardize on /usr.

I think xinetd should be part of 1.0 since it's necessary for so many
other things.

Traceroute, since it's already done, and is a very handy item when
debugging network problems, I believe should be in 1.0.

Mark, did you come to any opinions on cron versions? I could not get
dcron installed here -- it wouldn't compile. Do you know of any tricks
that have to be performed to get that to happen?

Do you think Python and Alsa Sound Support are 1.0 items? From my
perspective, I think they could wait. I also think tcl/tk should be on
the list, but not for 1.0.

Anyway, that's probably enough to get some discussion started.
--
Jeff Bauman
jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net

"I must say that I find television very educational. Every time
someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book."
	-- Groucho Marx
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org