BLFS Path issues

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 28 05:44:59 PDT 2001

On Sat, 28, Jul, 2001 at 02:32:25PM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> What's the rationale for putting some packages in /usr and others in
> /usr/local? Did I miss it or isn't there any yet?
Well, the problem is that the MTA's for example (postfix, sendmail,
qmail) should generally go in /usr - and indeed much software EXPECTS
them to be there.  Also, the stable constantly used libraries such as
zlib and the graphics libraries are generally looked for in /usr (as
/usr/local isn't a default lib and include dir for gcc I'm told).  We
could hack this but it makes more sense to put the main libs in /usr
imho.  Other people may disagree.  Also, for example, the network
daemons being in /usr/local seems a bit iffy to me.  Again, I'm waiting
for comments on this to see what people think.  Lets give it a bit of
time.

> If you still need a maintainer for audio & video (haven't seen any messages
> volunteering yet), I hereby offer my services, or at least some help, untill
> someone more qualified comes allong :)
OK.  I hope you've seen the messages about the templates.  If not, email
me and I'll point you to them.  If you want to get started on the audio
and video install instructions feel free.  If you need help or anything,
just email the list and I'm sure one of us will be able to point you in
the right direction.

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader
markh at linuxfromscratch.org