Writing the book

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 27 01:29:24 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26, Jul, 2001 at 08:13:52PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I have a project managment question.
>
> How the text of the book is going to be managed?  Are going to write all
> the xml or are multiple authors going to do it?  How do you want
> submissions?

Multiple authors I hope :-)

XML submissions would be great but text will also be accepted.  The
template files are now ready so I'll post them to the
beyond.linuxfromscratch.org today at some point.

> I would think the most productive way is to have contributors write
> sections directly in xml and send them to you for review and update.
>  Then bugs can be filed against the current version in cvs.
I agree.  What I'd *really* like would be for submissions to be in XML
for new pages and as diff files for changes to existing files as this
makes it easy for me to merge the changes into the book.

> Who is going to be able to commit changes into cvs?  Module owners?
>  Just you?
For now, it'll just be me and - hopefully - Ian Chilton the hints editor
soon.  The problem is that we can't really give out cvs access as it
requires a shell account on shadowfax (the linuxfromscratch.org server).
We may be able to find a way around this longer term but for now it
means that cvs submissions will have to go through myself (and maybe Ian
when he has more time) for now.

Just so that I know - could people who are willing to author sections
write to the mailing list with what they'd like to do and whether they'd
be able to submit in XML and or text.

I'll post another message later on today telling you all where the basic
XML templates have been posted.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader