Compile times

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 26 03:36:54 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26, Jul, 2001 at 12:03:24AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >OK.  There's been no opposition.
> >
> >Compile times are going :-)
> >
> >Mark
> >
> According to my system, you posted the first message at 05:16 and this
> message at 15:00.  10 Hours.  Please give us a chance to reply before
> implementing a policy.  At least 24 hours.  48 hours would be better.
>
> I don't know where you are based, but I am in Texas and sometimes can't
> get to my system until late.

Sorry about that.  I hope that you understand that because the book is
just starting, I'm anxious to try and get it moving quickly before
inertia is lost.  Out of interest, I'm based in the Newcastle; in the
north of England.  If you really want compile times to go back in then
I'm still willing to listen but again my problem is that I probably
won't have time to compile each package under similar conditions (i.e.
with X closed - at at console prompt) and I'm not totally convinced it's
necessary anyway.  If you look at the relative size of the Estimated
Disk Space entry, you should be able to gauge the length of the
compilation time from there (i.e. 1MB disk space required --> 30 secs,
while 1GB disk space required --> Mozilla^H^H^H^H^H^H^H sorry - 1.5
hours).

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader