FHS

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 24 03:45:20 PDT 2001

Ok people,  this is going to cause trouble I know...

I've changed my mind on the FHS issue.

We're going to go for FHS compliance from the outset now.  This means
when instructions are submitted, they'll come to the list and we'll try
and make them FHS compliant if they're not.

Also, IMHO, --prefix=/usr/local should be our starting point for
installing packages which are FHS compliant.  This means that we'll have
a clear distinction between LFS installed packages and BLFS installed
packages and it should also make it easier to people to keep track and
do upgrades.  Obviously there are exceptions like X11 (/usr/X11R6) and
opinion so far (on irc esp.) seems to be in favour of things like gnome
and KDE going into /opt/[kde|gnome].

Right.  That's it really.  [Dons flame-proof suit]

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader
markh at linuxfromscratch.org