BLFS Template Update

didbaba didbaba at free.fr
Mon Jul 23 13:41:56 PDT 2001

* le lun 23 jui, 2001 à 05:31:31 +0100, Mark Hymers (markh at linuxfromscratch.org) écrivait:
> Hi all,
>
> Having looked at all of the suggestions over the past couple of days,
> I've created a new structure idea.  It's just in text for now - the
> online html and xml has NOT been updated.  This document is an idea and
> I'd like it to be discussed on the list so we can get a working version
> soon and start adding instructions and getting on with the book
> properly.
>
> I've attached the template to this email and it's also available at
>
> http://beyond.linuxfromscratch.org/OUTLINE
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader
> markh at linuxfromscratch.org

> 			     Beyond Linux From Scratch
>
> OK - This is draft 20010723 of the BLFS plan.  I suspect it'll get
> conversation going on the list.  There'll probably be MANY more revisions before
> we start on the book properly.
>
> I'm NOT updating the XML source at this stage as it's pointless.  Once
> we finalise the starting outline I'll get the XML up and put some
> templates on the web.
>
> Hope people think this is a good start
>
> Mark (markh at linuxfromscratch.org)
>
> ---------------
> Project outline
> ---------------
>
> Table of Contents
>
> Preface
> 	Foreword
> 	Who would want to read this book
> 	Organization
>
> Part I - Introduction
> 	Introduction
> 	Important Information
>
> Part II - General system software
> 	After LFS Configuration Issues
> 		--> inputrc
> 		--> ?? a better vimrc
> 		--> Creating a custom bootdisk
> 	Shared Libraries
> 		--> zlib
> 		--> openssl
> 		--> Graphics libraries: libmng, libpng, libtiff, libjpeg, lcms
> 	Basic software and drivers
> 		--> alsa sound support
> 		--> gpm
> 		--> cron - which version; current hint suggests fcron
> 		--> CVS
> 		--> hdparm
>
> Part III - Basic Networking
> 	Getting networking working
> 		--> Static users is dealt with in LFS already
> 		--> DHCP users; dhcpcd,
> 		--> Dialup users: pppd + chat, wvdial
> 		--> pppoe user
> 		--> ISDN users
> 	Basic networking software
> 		--> Setting up a firewall: using iptables
> 		--> netkit-combo (clients only)
> 		--> links or lynx

I use w3m, equal to lynx or links, and easy to compile

> 	Installing a Mail system
> 		--> MTA's - postfix, qmail, sendmail
> 		--> Procmail
> 		--> Fetchmail
> 		--> Mail clients - mutt, pine
>
> Part IV - Further Networking
> 	Extra Networking Software
> 		--> openSSH
> 		--> traceroute
> 		--> whois
> 		--> wget
> 		--> ncftp
> 		--> bitchx, xchat

Don't forget NFS for intranet only.

> 	Server daemons
> 		--> xinetd
> 		--> Note on running sshd (installation stuff above)
> 		--> Running netkit-combo daemons (NOT RECOMMENDED)
> 		--> Apache
> 		--> PHP
> 		--> Samba
> 		--> Basic Bind installation
>
> Part V - The X Window System
> 	Installing X11
> 		--> Installing X
> 		--> Fonts, anti-aliasing - all that stuff
> 		--> Extra drivers; e.g. nvidia etc.
> 		--> DRI stuff
> 		--> ??Recompilation of vim (to get gvim)
> 	KDE installation
> 		--> Qt
> 		--> KDE
> 	Gnome installation
> 		--> Gnome
>
> Part VI - Printer, Scanner and Typesetting Support
> 	Printer support
> 		--> lprng, cups
> 		--> Ghostscript setup
> 	Scanner support
> 		--> SANE

and xsane,

> 	Typesetting support
> 		--> a2ps
> 		--> openjade
> 		--> latex
>
> Part VII - Multimedia
> 	Multimedia Libraries
> 		--> sdl, id3lib, avifile
> 	Audio
> 		--> xmms
> 		--> ??mpg123
> 		--> lame
> 		--> cdparanoia
> 		--> SHOULD OGG VORBIS STUFF REPLACE MP3 STUFF?
> 	Video
> 		--> mplayer
> 		--> avifile
> 	CD-Writing
> 		--> mkisofs
> 		--> cdrecord (is this the best cd-rec software?)

cdrecord is the backend of mostly every cd-rec software, we can't miss it, BUT
I use cdrdao, to copy in dao mode without 2" blank. only with one line of command, I don't succeed with cdrecord.

> One or two things that I don't have a clue where to put:
> 	(suggestions welcome)
> 		--> MySQL, screen
>
> Other thoughts -
> a section on graphics software; i.e. mainly GIMP? some
> other stuff
Gimp, Sketch and Blender...

--
didbaba