QT installation instructions

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jul 22 07:58:23 PDT 2001

J_Man wrote:

>QT - GUI interface widget library, used for KDE
>
>version 2.3.1
>download location - ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.1.tar.gz
>Home Page - http://www.troll.no/
>
>installation:
>tar zxf qt-x11-2.3.1.tar.gz &&
>mv qt-2.3.1 /usr/qt
>
>cat >> ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
>QTDIR=/usr/qt
>PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
>MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:/usr/man:$MANPATH
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>EOF
>
>source ~/.bash_profile &&
>cd /usr/qt &&
>./configure -gif -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -xft &&
>make

An alternative to LD_LIBRARY_PATH is to update /etc/ld.so.conf.  I
recommend using that method in a final install.

Also, since qt wants all the source for the build installed in the /usr
hierrarchy, I recommend using the default /usr/local instead of /usr as
the build/install locations.

configure should include -system-libmng.  Also, there needs to be a
short discussion of other options.  For instance, I used -accel-mach64

Optimization should also be discussed. I needed to use:

make SYSCONF_CFLAGS='-pipe -O3 -march=i686' \
        SYSCONF_CXXFLAGS='-pipe -O3 -march=i686'

to get the optimization I wanted.