libtiff installation instructions

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Jul 22 07:43:49 PDT 2001

J_Man wrote:

>libtiff - TIFF (Tag Image File Format) library
>
>version - 3.5.6 beta
>download location - http://www.libtiff.org/tiff-v3.5.6-beta.tar.gz
>Home Page - http://www.libtiff.org/
>
>installation:
>tar zxf tiff-v3.5.6-beta.tar.gz &&
>cd tiff-v3.5.6-beta &&
>./configure --prefix=/usr &&
>make &&
>make install &&
>ldconfig

I haven't looke at 3.5.6 beta, but 3.5.5 needed changes to configure and
 libtiff/Makefile.in.  Also, the default for configure was for
interactive querying of options and needed --noninteractive to be
specified.  Also, any optimization needed to be specified with special
flags to make.

I generally would not recommend using a package labeled beta in this
book, but if these discrepancies are fixed inthe beta, we probably
should go with that.

Discussion?