[jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net: A question]

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 26 08:11:28 PDT 2001

Hi,

I recieved this message from Jeff recently and it's an issue I'd like
comments on:

-  Forwarded message from jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net -

> Mark,
> I'm encountering a situation that I need some guidance on. There are some
> peripheral packages that would be nice to have, but I'm not sure if they
> deserve entire entries by themselves, or if they can be incorporated into
> the packages I'm currently working on. One example is that there are no
> man pages distributed with ucspi-tcp or daemontools. However, they do
> exist, but must be downloaded from another location. A second example is
> that there is a program to check for new mail that can be used with Qmail
> and mutt. Installation of these packages is pretty trivial, but it doesn't
> seem to fit within the format of our pages. What do you think?

----- End forwarded message -----

My opinion is that for man pages, information on installing these should
go in the page with the packages.  We can create extra entities such as
ucspi-tcp-man-pages-download
and put them in index.xml

as for the check for new mail program - I don't quite understand what
it's for.  Is it similar to fetchmail or just a program which looks for
local new mail.  In the latter case, bash can do it - I have a patch
which mca from #lfs sent me which can be applied to bash so that it
works with Maildir style mailboxes as well as mbox ones.  I don't know
qmail though so I could easily be talking rubbish.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader
markh at linuxfromscratch.org