New zlib commands

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 13 03:21:14 PDT 2001

On Sun, 12, Aug, 2001 at 08:54:31PM -0400, atark at thepipeline.net wrote:
> Here is what I think are nicer commands to use for the zlib package.  They
> will only work on x86, but that should not be a problem as the LFS book is
> targeted to x86.

This isn't strictly true ;-).  Although the book is mainly tested on
x86, we do have people who use it on PPC (I think) and maybe other
platforms so we try to keep it as platform independent as possible.

> cp -v contrib/asm`/bin/arch | cut -c 2-`/match.S . &&
> CFLAGS="-DASMV $CFLAGS" ./configure --prefix=/usr &&
> OBJA=match.o sed "s/(OBJS)$/(OBJS) \$(OBJA)/" Makefile | make -e -f - &&
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --shared &&
> OBJA=match.o sed "s/(OBJS)$/(OBJS) \$(OBJA)/" Makefile | make -e -f - &&
> make install &&
> cp -av zlib.3 /usr/share/man/man3
I will have a look at these instructions when I wake up to see what
you're aiming to do with them - my brain isn't switched on yet!

Could I have comments on whether we should aim for platform independence
as far as reasonably possible?

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader