OUTLINE

Mark Cason mcason at bigfoot.com
Sun Aug 12 07:23:26 PDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: blfs-book-owner at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:blfs-book-owner at linuxfromscratch.org]On
Behalf Of
jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 11:29 PM
To: blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: OUTLINE

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 10:13:24PM -0400, Seth W.
Klein wrote:
> Mark Cason wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >                 --> SHOULD OGG VORBIS STUFF
REPLACE MP3 STUFF?
> >   Yes, <snip of why ogg is better than mp3>
>
> Isn't that like saying that gtk should replace
qt? The answer
> being, "No, of course not. The suitablility of a
package is up
> to the admin, not BLFS."

Seems to me you can't throw out MP3 just because
it isn't open source. Some
people have a large investment in MP3 and can't
just cut over to Ogg Vorbis.
That being said, I'm a big fan of Ogg Vorbis, and
won't be running anything
else on my own system. We're already looking at
multiple MTAs, for instance.
Isn't there room for both MP3 and Ogg Vorbis in
BLFS?

Jeff