OUTLINE

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 12 01:43:16 PDT 2001

On Sun, 12, Aug, 2001 at 01:25:38AM -0600, Greg Turpin wrote:
> Here are some comments on the latest outline update.
And here are my comments on the latest update and the comments...

<mumbles>I don't know, I disappear for 12 hours and all this traffic
comes along I don't know <yorkshireaccent> in the old days... blah blah
blah grumble grumble</yorkshireaccent></mumbles> :-)

(note for the humourally challanged - the paragraph above is a *JOKE*!)

> > 		--> cron - which version; current hint suggests fcron[/usr]
>
> fcron needs sendmail (or another mailer).  It would be ideal if we could
> find a cron without it.  But, I don't think that will happen.
> What should we do about this?  I'm still unsure.

I looked at fcron but the syntax is different to what I'm used to.
Personally I find the fcron syntax quite impenetrable.  We need to look
at all the alternatives.  AFAIK there is fcron, dcron and vixie cron
(there's also others - what are they again?).  I use dcron but what do
other people use?  I think we'll just have to have a dependency from
whichever cron we decide on to the MTAs.

>               --> Using iptables for Firewall, <new>IP
>               Masquarading</new> [/usr]
Yep - only a brief introduction to masquerading though... We aren't
aiming to reproduce all of the documentation on the internet ;-)  We
should give people "drop-off" points so they have a good base +
information on where to go for help in dealing with advanced topics
IMNSHO.

> > 		--> CVS [/usr/local]
> > 		--> hdparm [/usr/local]
> > 	Programming Languages
> > 		*** --> Python? [/usr] ***
> > 		<new>--> Java (It's not open source but you can get it for free)
> > 			In time to come, I think gcc will come with more stable Java
> > implementation
> > 			and Gerard might want to enable it into from gcc. </new>
>
> Agreed.  I think you will see Java becoming more important to Linux in the
> future (for better or worse).  Rumor is that Sun is thinking about
> open-sourcing it once they feel that no one can compete with the
> control of Java (*ahem* Microsoft).  So, lets at least install
> the JRE.  I'm not sure if everyone will need the full JDK unless
> they are a developer.

Definiately for worse IMHO (NO FLAMEWAR STARTER INTENDED!)
Fair enough... What do we do about non-open-source stuff.  Personally I
shove it into /opt to keep it seperate.  Others might just put it into
/usr/local or /usr or whatever...  Again, comments requested.

> > 	Various Servers
> > 		MailServer
> > 		--> MTA's - postfix, qmail, sendmail [/usr]
> > 		--> Procmail [/usr]
> > 		--> Fetchmail [/usr]
> > 		<new>--> POP3 Access</new>
> > 		<new>DNS Server
> > 		--> djbdns</new> or bind ?
> > 		<new>DHCP Server
> > 		--> ISC DHCP Server (DHCPD)</new>
>
> I'm not too sure about these Server additions.  Why would an average
> user need one?
I still agree with giving the instructions as long as we make clear the
security implications of running the services.

>               <new>HTTP Server
>               --> Apache with PHP, Perlmod (faster perl CGI),
/me gulps... Did I not have apache with php in the original outline??
WHOOPS! That's a bit worrying since I'm sure Jesse said something about
doing work on that sort of thing..

>               --> Using iptables for Firewall, <new>IP
>               Masquarading</new> [/usr]
Yep - only a brief introduction to masquerading though... We aren't
aiming to reproduce all of the documentation on the internet ;-)  We
should give people "drop-off" points so they have a good base +
information on where to go for help in dealing with advanced topics
IMNSHO.

> > 		Database Server
> > 		--> MySQL
> > 		--> Oracle Database (It's not open source but it's free to
> > download)</new>
>
> Nah.  What about PostgreSQL?  A bit more common under Linux.  The
> average user probably does not need the awesome power of almighty
> Oracle.
I agree. Scrap oracle and give instructions for PostgreSQL (as well as
MySQL)

>       <new>SQL Clients</new>
OK.  I confess to ignorance here.  I don't use SQL so I'll leave this
discussion to those of you who do ;-)

>               --> SHOULD OGG VORBIS STUFF REPLACE MP3 STUFF?
On this issue I'm all for putting both in the book - I personally have
loads of mp3's I haven't converted yet although eventually I will. On
the mp3 licence/patent issue I (personally) say fsck them.

OK.. A lot of this will go into OUTLINE I'm sure but not until (I'm
getting repetitive I know) after LFS-3.0 is out... Once this is the
case, I'm going to ask all of those who want me to do things to email me
personally to remind me because my mind is like a sieve at the moment..

Right, See you later.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader