OUTLINE

Greg Turpin gregturp at home.com
Sun Aug 12 00:25:38 PDT 2001

Here are some comments on the latest outline update.

On Saturday 11 August 2001  6:53 pm, you wrote:
> ---------------
> Project outline
> ---------------
>
> Table of Contents
>
> Preface
> 	Foreword
> 	Who would want to read this book
> 	Organization
>
> Part I - Introduction
> 	Introduction
> 	Important Information
>
> Part II - General system software
> 	Basic software and drivers
> 		--> alsa sound support [/usr]
> 		--> gpm [/usr/local]
> 		--> cron - which version; current hint suggests fcron[/usr]

fcron needs sendmail (or another mailer).  It would be ideal if we could
find a cron without it.  But, I don't think that will happen.
What should we do about this?  I'm still unsure.

> 		--> CVS [/usr/local]
> 		--> hdparm [/usr/local]
> 	Programming Languages
> 		*** --> Python? [/usr] ***
> 		<new>--> Java (It's not open source but you can get it for free)
> 			In time to come, I think gcc will come with more stable Java
> implementation
> 			and Gerard might want to enable it into from gcc. </new>

Agreed.  I think you will see Java becoming more important to Linux in the
future (for better or worse).  Rumor is that Sun is thinking about
open-sourcing it once they feel that no one can compete with the
control of Java (*ahem* Microsoft).  So, lets at least install
the JRE.  I'm not sure if everyone will need the full JDK unless
they are a developer.

> 	Various Servers
> 		MailServer
> 		--> MTA's - postfix, qmail, sendmail [/usr]
> 		--> Procmail [/usr]
> 		--> Fetchmail [/usr]
> 		<new>--> POP3 Access</new>
> 		<new>DNS Server
> 		--> djbdns</new> or bind ?
> 		<new>DHCP Server
> 		--> ISC DHCP Server (DHCPD)</new>

I'm not too sure about these Server additions.  Why would an average
user need one?

> 		Database Server
> 		--> MySQL
> 		--> Oracle Database (It's not open source but it's free to
> download)</new>

Nah.  What about PostgreSQL?  A bit more common under Linux.  The
average user probably does not need the awesome power of almighty
Oracle.

Greg