OUTLINE

jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net
Sat Aug 11 20:28:36 PDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 10:13:24PM -0400, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> Mark Cason wrote:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >                 --> SHOULD OGG VORBIS STUFF REPLACE MP3 STUFF?
> >   Yes, <snip of why ogg is better than mp3>
>
> Isn't that like saying that gtk should replace qt? The answer
> being, "No, of course not. The suitablility of a package is up
> to the admin, not BLFS."

Seems to me you can't throw out MP3 just because it isn't open source. Some
people have a large investment in MP3 and can't just cut over to Ogg Vorbis.
That being said, I'm a big fan of Ogg Vorbis, and won't be running anything
else on my own system. We're already looking at multiple MTAs, for instance.
Isn't there room for both MP3 and Ogg Vorbis in BLFS?

Jeff