Beyond LFS

roryo at roryo.dynup.net roryo at roryo.dynup.net
Sat Aug 11 18:50:51 PDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:15:52PM -0700, jbauman at adsl-63-193-249-142.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net wrote:

<snip>

> Mark, What is the plan for packages that are not easily made FHS compliant,
> such as Qmail? -- particularly if you are using the author's daemontools,
> which wants to be installed in /service? Do we need to hack the code into
> compliance, or will there be exceptions?
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Well that is good point... It is possible to make the daemontools fully FHS
complient, it just means an alternate install method from the authors, now i
haven't used daemontools in a while, but i'll dig into the archives for the
install method when i get a free moment and post it... Or you can give it a
shot yourself...

>From memory /serveice became /var/service for local state informaion, the
logging output of course goes into /var/log ... and erm, there was a lib
component as well, cant remember exactly now ;)

And instead of having a path declared in innitab and spawning the service from
there, a normal /etc/init.d/script is used...

Apart from djb's total contempt for ANY standards - he codes good apps.  So
imho his tools would make a good addition to the book...

Chris