Beyond LFS

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 13:15:34 PDT 2001

On Sat, 11, Aug, 2001 at 01:13:00PM +0000, Iswandi Marzuki wrote:
> I have read through the OUTLINE, and I would like to give some comments...
>
> I think it does not really matter where this all should go like /usr or
> /usr/local...
It does.  We are aiming for FHS compliance for one thing (which doesn't
matter too much) and also, there are differences in which directories
are looked in by default by, for example configure scripts.  It's also
convention that system libraries etc should go in /usr as opposed to
/usr/local

>I personally prefer to put everything in /usr so it'll be
> easier for me to find stuffs. But since we are starting Beyond LFS, why
> don't we put everything from this part into /beyond <--- and ask the user to
> put it into their preferable places... and of course /etc will be where we
> put all the config or else... we'll have to fight to the end to determine
> where is the appropriate place...
The reason I don't like this approach is that it makes interdependency
information more difficult to sort out (e.g. if we have to use for
example --jpeg-dir=/whatever, it's easier if we KNOW where the book has
put libjpeg).

> Apart from that... we are missing on the Database server, although not many
> people using it... but I think I'll be nice to have them. Oracle Database
> server for Linux is free for download as long as you are registered, and we
> definitely can have MySQL.
Agreed.  I'm going to be looking at the OUTLINE again once LFS-3.0 is
out.  When this is the case, I'll ask everyone to post their ideas again
to the list and sort it out.

> We can also add Java as one of the programming languages.
Is there an open source java implementation?

Thanks for the comments

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Project Leader