Small nuances

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sat Jan 11 23:36:31 PST 2014

Le 12/01/2014 05:33, Bryan Gonzalez a écrit :
> Not how much of a base there is for Ubuntu as a host, but some caveats
> encountered running jhalfs from a vanilla Ubuntu 13.10 VM:
>
> the xmllint error does not is not helpful:
> "xmllint" must be installed on your system for jhalfs to run
>
> The correct package that contains xmllint for Ubuntu is libxml2-utils.
> We can't just install xmllint through apt-get.
>
> This one is BLFS specific:
> Error: you need docbook for installing BLFS tools
>
> Also not helpful as installing 'docbook' does not satisfy jhalfs. We
> need docbook-xml.
>
> On a side note, regarding BLFS, I cannot get jhalfs to run when BLFS
> tool support is selected (for the initial lfs build). However, if I
> build a base LFS system, then go back and rerun jhalfs and tick BLFS I
> can get it to work. I thought the idea was to be able to configure it
> on the first go, or am I mistaken. If it's known to be broken. I'd be
> happy to take a stab at fixing it. (or at least letting jhalfs
> complete without complaining about BLFS missing scripts. It's supposed
> to be missing scripts, the BLFS book is not downloaded until after the
> base system build.)

Hi Bryan,

I think it is the first time somebody writes to this list after testing the
BLFS tools, so thank you very much for your input.

Concerning the error messages, I am not sure about what to do. It is very
likely that different distributions have different names for the package
containing xmllint. Maybe add something like:
"Please install the package containing xmllint for your distribution".

Same for docbook, although you are right that the message should specify that
it needs the XML docbook DTD.
"You need the docbook xml DTD version 4.5 to run the BLFS tools. Please
install the package containing that DTD."

Concerning the BLFS tools, I do not think it is "known to be broken", since
"it works for me", and you are the first tester...

Normally, the BLFS book is downloaded before running the LFS build, even
before downloading or copying the LFS book. If it is not, it means an error
occurred. What does the 000-masterscript.log say?

Regards
Pierre