CLFS and Optimizations and MAKEFLAGS

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Thu Sep 26 01:34:24 PDT 2013

Le 25/09/2013 21:35, William Harrington a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering why cross-tools was taking longer than usual and the
> SBU was off.
>
> I noticed that during the building of the Makefile that cross-tools
> isn't included in the optimizations which add the MAKEFLAG variable.
>
> In cross-tools we don't want optimizations, yet, so just the makeflags.
>
> I ran through all of the different combinations of optimize options
> (including what I added) and all seems well.
>
> You can tell at line 120 that is in the cross-tools part of the make
> file creation and I only have it adding the makeflags when OPTIMIZE is
> 3 which is OPT_3 from Config.in.
> [...patch...]
Will commit your patch (since I have a limited ability to test CLFS, and
that patch only affects CLFS, I trust you). The question is whether we
should have a similar mechanism for LFS (possiblity to build chapter 5
with makeflags only while building chapter 6 with makeflags and
optimization, which is not possible presently AFAICT).

Another related and more general question is whether "make install"
shouldn't always be run with -j1.
Since the bottleneck is mainly I/O during installation, I would expect
that the performance would not be significantly degraded. OTH, in some
cases, packages which build  OK with make -jN do not always install (see
http://lists.cross-lfs.org/pipermail/clfs-dev-cross-lfs.org/2013-September/001720.html).
It would be easy to change that in command generation.

What do the others think ?

Regards
Pierre