Optimizations

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Thu Nov 14 04:40:57 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Bryan O. Gonzalez wrote:

> Binutitls will not build for me using O3 so I
> created another mode called O2pipe_march which works great.

For optimizations of Os and O3, binutils needs --disable-werror.

> Mind you, I'm
> not running any test suites so I don't know which ones are failing,
> but the
> complete system runs fine.

-pipe can affect test suites. Multiple jobs may affect test suites,
and some Makefile systems will disable job control for the tests and
even during building if required.

> Therefore it stands to good reason that a user following the book
> will not
> need optimization at all. And if a user does want them, it should
> follow
> that they will want it for every package except those that that they
> specify. (Make them figure it out.)

The users that know a lot about optimizations are apt to use them and
will configure their build to use them.
Leaving it up to the user is the best way for an automated build.

Sincerely,

William Harrington