about "optimize" files

Thomas Pegg tom.pegg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 08:45:37 PST 2013

On 11/13/2013 5:30 AM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to change the default optimizations we ship with jhalfs.
>
> First, the opt_override file
> The line:
> zlib    defOpt_fPIC
>
> is not needed anymore with recent (less than 4 year old at least)
> versions of zlib.
> I do not even know if setting -fPIC by hand does not defeat some
> automatic detection.
>
> Also, the line:
> glibc    noOpt
>
> is IMHO not needed: if somebody wants to use optimization, I would guess
> that glibc is a good start...
I would agree but,  I would keep it noOpt by default as it is a safer
default, and keeps closer to by the book, if someone really wants to
optimize glibc they know they will want to and can override at their
discretion. I've learned from experience over optimization especially
with the core toolchain can create some very hard to track down bugs.

  Now, the opt_config file. I'd like to ship it with MAKFLAGS="-j5"
(quadricore CPUs are very common these days)

True, their common but your assuming that most are building on current hardware, which I don't believe to be the case. I personally have always put linux on older boxes, and most systems I have access to are only dual core, so -j5 would be a bad default in that case.

Thomas