about "optimize" files

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Nov 13 05:35:36 PST 2013

On Nov 13, 2013, at 4:51 AM, Igor Živković wrote:

> Just a feature request: it would be nice if number of parallel jobs
> could be configurable in the menuconfig interface.

That would be more ideal. It's not an optimization setting.

Pierre's other options are well. GRUB you don't want to use
optimizations. It's just a boot loader. No need for it. I would hope
that GRUB binaries should be as generic as possible.

GLIBC I've built fine even with graphite optimizations and -O3. I'd
leave it up to the user on this one, too.

GCC and Binutils, even GLIBC, all default to -O2 -g if I recall.

Setting noOpt to default in the book is well.

Zlib. I agree with -fPIC. It is not needed. In the Zlib ChangeLog,
fPIC has been used for the shared library since 1.2.3.1 August 2006.

Sincerely,

William Harrington