failed to load external entity .../docbookx.dtd

Alexey Orishko alexey.orishko at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 02:06:22 PST 2013

Hi folks,

When I build alfs with blfs tools or ablfs I always get a bunch of
errors during first run:
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/x/lib/lib.xml:6: warning: failed to
load external entity
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/x/lib/agg.xml:14: warning: failed to
load external entity
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/xincludes/static-libraries.xml:3:
warning: failed to load external entity
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd" >
                        ^
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/appendices/glossary.xml:6: warning:
failed to load external entity
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
]>
  ^
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
warning: failed to load external entity
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
validity error : Could not load the external subset
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
Document /mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/index.xml does not validate
make: *** [/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/blfs-xml/tmp/blfs-full.xml] Error 3
make: Leaving directory `/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root'

ERROR: Error 2 at common/libs/func_install_blfs line 39!

I saw a post a few years back with a similar problem with solution to
upgrade libxml2.
I have 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4 version and make does not complain about
libxml2 at all.

I'm building lfs-7.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 32bit for x86 platform:
svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/ALFS/jhalfs/trunk jhalfs
make

While running make second time I get only one warning and build continues:

Making XML book
making HTML book (may take some time...)
    Generating the build scripts ...
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd
/mnt/build_dir/blfs_root/book.xml:2: warning: failed to load external
entity "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd"
<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd">
                                                                               ^
SCRIPT is 002-z-expat
    FTPDIR is expat

Is something wrong with my initial setup or alfs scripts needs some
tweaking/fixing?

Regards,
alexey