Development status of alfs?

Svetoslav Trochev svetoslav.trochev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 00:17:20 PDT 2012

[... cut ...]
>> Several months ago I successfully build LFS, Learn quite a bit about
>> Linux from that experience. I would love to explore more, but manually
>> building packages over and over again would be waste of valuable time.
>> I start looking into ALFS, but looks like the project is dormant. I
>> was wondering why:
>> 1. Is it lack off resources ... I mean developers?
>> 2. Is it because there is better way for example other project that I
>> am not aware of?
>> 3. Is it because there is no interest into ALFS? How many people are
>> actually using ALFS or LFS in any capacity, or LFS is becoming
>> valuable learning tool and then it is time to move to distributions
>> like Arch, Gentoo or even OpenEmbedded?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Svetoslav Trochev
>
> Alfs is not dormant. The current tool we use is jhalfs. The spec we wrote a
> few years ago is for a more detailed implementation that takes what jhalfs
> gives us and adds more client/server functionality.  Currently Jeremy is
> getting organized for adding package management into jhalfs so we can better
> test builds and prove a more repeatable build process and support some of
> the other projects like the live Cd. I would recommend you look at jhalfs.

[... cut ...]

Hi James and Pierre,

Thank you for your replies. Yes, already read most of the web site in
regards of ALFS/JHALFS and I knew that JHALFS is been developed. I
will try the jhalfs and see how it works. But I would like to learn
more about the people who are developing and using ALFS. I have an
idea (more like a dream) and my hope is that people here, been smarter
then I am, already working on it. I want to build a PC and Laptop that
runs coreboot, Linux OS, it is specially designed for Linux
developers. This combination of hardware and software should enable
all developers to build own distributions, but the key features would
be:
1. Enable the developer to assemble distribution directly from upstream source.
2. Building and rebuilding the system/packages should be automatic.
3. Group of developers should be able to form collaborative teams that
will share the burden of maintaining the common packages.
4. Every step of building the distribution should be easily documented
in style similar to original LFS book. This should enable new
developers to join a team and quickly to become productive.
5. If any of the teams builds successful distribution that other
non-contributors want to use, should provide easy way to be
commercialized. The goal of this feature is to reward the developers
for their work.

This is a bit off-topic, so I will stop right here. I would love to
learn how developers and active users of LFS use jhalfs and on what
path they are?

Thank you,
Svetoslav