jhalfs feature suggestions

James Robertson jwrober at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:31:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr>wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> The blfs tool in jhalfs trunk is pretty outdated and I do not think it
> can work with the current version of the blfs book.
> I have been working on a new version of the blfs tool, which is in
> svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/ALFS/jhalfs/branches/ablfs. In this
> branch, the lfs part of the tool is the same as in jhalfs trunk, while
> the blfs tool is not perfect yet, but works. Well, the blfs book is not
> easy to automate anyway, due to its structure.

I will probably look at this as part of the pkg mgt effort.

> I think the custom tool can be used in both the trunk and the branch
> version.
>
> Concerning the improvements you listed above, they could be added, with
> some work, but would break immediately if any of the corresponding
> instructions in the book were changed. Maybe a better idea would be to
> have the option of copying over a whole /etc hierarchy. For the moment,
> I'd rather suggest you create those files with the custom tool. Here is
> for example my network file (to be put into custom/config):

 ... snip

Good idea.  I totally forgot about that.  I have taken your suggestion.

> I can send you other batches for setting /etc/profile, /etc/bashrc and
> the other config files, creating an initramfs, and installing lvm.

This would be great Pierre.  Anything you are willing to share would be
great.  I am especially interested in your various config files and the
initramfs scripts.  Do you have a sample kernel config file to go with the
initramfs?

James