SBU report

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sat Feb 25 06:38:42 PST 2012

Le 25/02/2012 15:11, Pierre Labastie a écrit :
>> ./jhalfs:
>> case $PROGNAME in
>> # TODO: clfs is now on git
>> #  clfs* ) declare -r SVN="http://svn.cross-lfs.org/svn/repos" ;;
>>         * ) declare -r SVN="svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org" ;;
>> esac
>>
>> ~~~~~and here:~~~~~
>>
>> common/libs/func_book_parser:48:
>> svn co $SVN/${svn_root}/${TREE} ${PROGNAME}-$LFSVRS>>$LOGDIR/$LOG 2>&1
>>
>> IMHO for a casual user there is little difference between svn, git or
>> a tarball and the git philosophy doesn't matter.  Personally, even
>> when working on a development branch I would always want to be able to
>> fix a particular version of a book as this makes error hunting a lot
>> easier. However I can see how the svn/git option is a useful feature
>> for some; both for LFS and CLFS (and BLFS of course).
>>
>> I would propose to add something like this though:
>> if [[ -d $SVN ]] ; then
>>     echo --n "You seem to have a working copy of the book already. Do
>> you want to update this to the newest version? (no)"
>>     read ANSWER
>> etc...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> In the mean time I'll have a look at the CLFS/git download.
> Peter,
> There is no need to test $SVN, I think, because in the menuconfig
> interface, the user is given the choice of using either local book sources,
> or sources downloaded from a remote repository.
> My remark about "philosophy" was just that with GIT, it does not seem
> to make much difference whether the repository is local or remote, once
> you have 'git clone'd one.
> As you (and other recently) said, it is not very common to need to
> download a book source on the fly. What I do with LFS is to have a local
> working copy of the current development book, and I usually don't need it
> either. Only when Bruce asked to test the 7.1-rc1 version did I downloaded
> it, since it was not supposed to be modified (of course) for tests...
> AFAICT, you pointed all the places where the code should be modified.
>
> By browsing the source with Trac, I see that there are a lot of branches.
> So a user might want to download a specific version (say 1.2 or 1.1.0..),
> to try it. I do not know how to do that with git. Looks like you need to
> somehow convert those version numbers into some hexadecimal
> string. With SVN, the encoding is done in $svn_root/$TREE.
>
> Regards
> Pierre
Answering myself, since it happens that the menu for CLFS is different from
that of LFS, and that the choice of the version is not possible (only
current
"SVN" or working copy). So replacing:

svn co $SVN/${svn_root}/${TREE} ${PROGNAME}-$LFSVRS>>$LOGDIR/$LOG 2>&1

with an adequate 'git clone' could be enough...

Regards
Pierre