Locale related regression

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Feb 7 06:31:50 PST 2012

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:21:00 +0100, Pierre Labastie <pierre.labastie at neuf.fr> wrote:
> Le 07/02/2012 09:24, Matt Burgess a écrit :
>> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 21:22 -0500, Thomas Pegg wrote:
>>
>>> Fortunately I think my XSL-foo is sufficient. :)
>>> I commited a fix to trunk that I'm pretty sure resolves this. Please
> confirm.
>> Thanks a lot, that's fixed it!
>>
>> Matt.
>>
> Well,
> First of all, I want to apologize for that pitfall. I had not realized
> that fairly current locales (such as en_GB) where not in the minimal
> set of installed locales.

No need to apologize at all.  I'd completely forgotten that jhalfs installs
the complete set of locales as well.

> OTH, I still think it is overkill to install the full set of supported
> locales just because you need one. I might submit a patch, which uses the
> 'lang' parameter to install the required locale, if I can sort out a not
> too complicated way of doing that.

Ha, I was going to suggest a similar approach as well in my original regression
report, once I realised that I've been installing a whole bunch of locales that
I don't need all this time.  As I wasn't willing to invest any time myself in
implementing such a feature though, I didn't bother requesting it.  As you've
shown an interest, I'll just say that I'd find that a really nice feature :-)

It probably wants to have an additional config value to toggle its behaviour.
I can see the case for some folks wanting all locales installed, but providing
their default locale in LANG.  Others, like me, want just the minimal set
necessary, plus whatever their LANG variable is set to.

Thanks,

Matt.