Locale related regression

Matt Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Feb 6 14:19:37 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm seeing what I think is a regression using recent jhalfs-trunk to
build lfs-trunk. After booting into a recently built LFS I see:

root:/# LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8 locale charmap
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

This is because I don't have the en_GB.UTF-8 locale installed, but I
have 'LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"' specified in jhalfs config which then gets put
into /etc/profile.

My generated lfs-commands/chapter06/*-glibc file contains instructions
to install just the minimum set of locales necessary for completing the
test suites.  However, in the book, these are marked with
'role="nodump"'.  What I would expect is for 'make
localedata/install-locales' to be run instead.

I can see some changes in the recently applied jhalfs.patch from Pierre
that look like they touch relevant regions, but my XSL-foo isn't
sufficient to figure out what might need changing to restore the
previous behaviour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.