Want to contribute

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 10 01:38:20 PST 2010

Tim Sarbin wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 March 2010 1:46:38 am Mike McCarty wrote:

[...]

>> I was thinking only about hooks, not building management into the
>> system.
>>
>> Mike
> I see what you are saying. If you could give me more details on how you would
> like to hook into the system, I'd be more than happy to help make it happen;
> I'm just currently not quite sure what exactly it is that you need.

Well, it's not surprising things look a little hazy. I'm a little
hazy myself. I was thinking like having some sort of configuration
file, and possibly some call outs. I'm still being vague, because
I haven't thought it out very well. However, one possibility might
be something like a prebuild callout, a postbuild/preinstall callout,
and a post install callout. This might be a single callout, or perhaps
one per each "package". Another possibility might be to have an assigned
"build user" per package. The build manager (xalfs) would su to the
assigned user before running the prebuild callout, do the build,
run the postbuild/preinstall callout, do the install, then exit back.

Anyway, so far it's still just a vague idea that there might be some
reasonable way to allow the user to install his own package manager
hooks. Definitely more thought and discussion needed, and perhaps
it isn't as feasible as it might seem at first blush (at least to
me).

What I'm asking for is some time thinking about it, not some action.

If it isn't at least thought about, then it won't get designed in,
and as I'm sure you know one can't fix design problems in the code,
and going from market requirements -> requirements -> design ->
implementation, each step, if there is an error, is 4x or so as hard to
a design error, which gets coded, costs 4x as much to fix as one which
gets caught before coding. Same for requirements. Actually, an error in
requirements can be devastatingly costly, since it may mean that one
is building something which, even if it's perfect, nobody wants :-)

Anyway, at this point we're early in the life cycle, and I want to
spend a little time thinking about what might make some rudimentary
package management feasible. Not tracking dependencies and that sort
of thing, just something which can do version tracking, and create
installation records which might be used by a separate package
management system.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.