Want to contribute

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 9 22:46:38 PST 2010

Tim Sarbin wrote:
> I have already thought about package management and don't want to turn LFS
> into a gentoo clone. I understand what you mean though. Any Linux system

Yes, I understand that.

> must be upgradeable and manually pulling 200 packages simply isn't possible.
> Honestly I mainly see three reasons to use lfs: to make an embedded system,
> to make a new distribution, and to learn how Linux works. Any other use, in
> my opinion, is simply outside of the scope of LFS. Honestly I started

Umm, how about

	I like control of what is on my machine, so I'm going to build
	it myself. "Standard" distros are too bloated, and even the
	small ones like Feather Linux are just based on the same old
	bloated stuff.

If that's what you mean by "make a new distribution", then ok. The
primary reason I'm interested in it, is the standard distros are not
targeting the type of customer I am. I like a lean, clean, small
machine, with only those things on it I want. "Standard" distros
don't do that.

> messing with LFS because I plan on writing a Linux based os, but it's not
> what I would call a typical Linux distribution. Anyway, I decided I would
> help out LFS in the process by updating ALFS to make building raw systems,
> new distros, and bootable cd images a breeze.

I was thinking only about hooks, not building management into the
system.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.