ALFS Patches

Tim Sarbin tim.sarbin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:26:11 PST 2010

OK I'm getting more familiar with the source and have created several patches
for ALFS's current jhalfs system:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/ticket/1684
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/ticket/1685

I'm mainly posting it here because the tracker seems to be pretty dead and I
wanted to make sure the right people see it. Also note that I do realize that
my wget fix doesn't include the bottom wget logic, but honestly the whole
download section needs to be redone to work properly.

I am currently eyeing the usage of $SRC_ARCHIVE. This setting in the menu
makes little sense. It says the sources are automatically downloaded here, but
that is not true. It seems the purpose of $SRC_ARCHIVE is really to copy all
of the downloaded sources to a backup folder. If this is the case, wouldn't it
make much more sense to have a "Create a backup of downloaded packages"
boolean, with a sub-entry called "Backup directory"? Currently it literally
defaults to ($SRC_ARCHIVE), with a very misleading help description. If the
above patches are OK, I may make much bigger changes to the download logic as
there are some logical knots in the way things are done right now. It's just
hard to do since I am juggling multiple patches on SVN in the same area.

Also, would anyone be interested in me adding a new option called "output
type" with options like "Compile to file system", "Create bootable ISO" (with
possible ISO sub-options), "Install on local system" (for running on a live
cd) and such like this?

Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Tim