Want to contribute

John lfs at jelmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:49:28 PST 2010

Hi it's interesting to see some discussion on this. I thought I'd drop
in what I do.

I use jhalfs to build LFS and then use nALFS to build BLFS on top
because when I started it was practically the only option. I wrote a
fair number of XML files for nALFS to provide a "glue layer" on top of
the BLFS sources so that the components gelled together. I wrote XML for
stuff not in BLFS at all and generally got something together that was
good enough for my own experimental server. My build gave me LAMP
server, mail with webmail, LDAP, Samba Windows Domain Server amongst
other useful stuff along with the glue required to make it all work
together.

I never felt any of what I did was good enough to warrant sharing with
anyone and the hassle of maintaining nALFS XML files made me take it no
further than necessary. I've written various scripts to build an LFS
system from a "resource CD" that I make that works on any old PC that I
can boot from a floppy.

However, in recent months I've done very little. I am now running
servers in OpenVZ containers on a Ubuntu server host which has let me
shut down my LFS server. I would like to get to the position where I can
run my desktop environment on an LFS build but I expect that is a very
very long way off. The availability of tools may bring it a little
closer so I read your post with interest :)